Tooth loss, a common dental issue, can occur due to various reasons such as periodontal disease, tooth decay, trauma, congenital conditions, or medical treatments like chemotherapy. Not only does this impact the aesthetics of one’s smile, but it also affects oral functionality and can lead to further complications if not addressed. Dental implants have become a highly effective and preferred modern solution for replacing missing teeth, offering benefits that encompass improved oral health, functionality, and aesthetics. In this article, we discuss why it is important to select high-quality dental implants in order to improve the efficacy and longevity of the treatment.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant typically comprises three main parts: the implant fixture, the abutment and the artificial tooth.
- The Implant Fixture: This is a titanium screw-like structure surgically implanted into the jawbone. It serves as an artificial tooth root, providing stability and support.
- The Abutment: This is a small connector that sits above the gum line connecting the implant fixture and the artificial tooth (crown).
- The Artificial Tooth: Often referred to as the “crown”, this is the part of the implant that looks and functions like a natural tooth. It is custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, ensuring a seamless and aesthetically pleasing appearance.
What to Expect During the Dental Implant Treatment Process?
- Initial Consultation: The journey to dental implants starts with an in-depth consultation. This includes a comprehensive dental examination, with potential dental X-rays and 3D imaging, to evaluate the condition of the jawbone and remaining teeth. Understanding the patient’s medical history is crucial to plan for a safe and successful implant procedure.
- Treatment Phases: The implant procedure is an outpatient process, usually performed in stages. This includes removing damaged teeth if necessary, potential jawbone grafting if the bone lacks density or strength, implant placement, bone growth and healing, abutment placement, and finally, attaching the artificial tooth. The entire process can extend over several months, primarily to allow for healing and new bone growth in the jaw.
- Duration: The process can span from weeks to several months, largely due to the time required for healing and bone integration in the jaw. In some cases, specific steps may be combined, depending on individual circumstances.
What to Look Out for in Dental Implants
The success of a dental implant procedure hinges on various factors. Key among these are the material and design of the implants themselves. For instance, Straumann implants are highly regarded in the dental community for their innovative design and superior materials. They utilize Roxolid®, a high-performance alloy of zirconium and titanium, combined with SLActive® Surface Technology. This combination ensures high tensile and fatigue strength, essential for the longevity and success of the implant.
In addition to the physical attributes of the implant, the prosthetic and aesthetic outcome is a significant consideration. Good quality implants should provide stable, long-lasting results with minimal complications. They should also satisfy aesthetic requirements, ensuring that the final appearance is both pleasing and functional. Another vital aspect is the reputation and reliability of the implant brand. A well-established brand backed by scientific research and a broad spectrum of solutions for various dental conditions, speaks volumes about the reliability and effectiveness of its products.
Moreover, patient satisfaction is an integral component of the success of dental implants. Comfort, appearance and functionality play crucial roles in determining the overall success of the implant procedure. Hence, successful implant dentistry should ideally evaluate these factors to ensure a positive and satisfactory outcome for the patient.
Choosing the Right Dental Practice for Implants
When it comes to dental implant procedures, the choice of dental practice is as crucial as the choice of the implant itself. Factors such as the expertise and experience of the dental professionals, the technology and facilities available at the clinic, and patient reviews and testimonials should be carefully considered. A practice that adopts skilled professionals with extensive experience in implant dentistry, equipped with modern technology, is more likely to ensure precise and effective treatments.
Our approach at Tooth Art Dental Centre is centered on specialised dental professionals in providing personalised care, tailoring treatments to meet the individual needs of our patients. We resonate with the importance of quality and reliability in dental treatments, which is why we offer Swiss-made Straumann implants, known for their excellence and durability.
Good quality dental implants are a vital investment in your oral health and quality of life. By choosing the right implant solution and a reputable dental practice, you can achieve a long-lasting, satisfying outcome that enhances your confidence and well-being. Schedule a consultation with your dental specialist today.